Thursday, November 6, 2014

Put the "un" in "FUN" — for the good of humanity.

One of my favorite things to do in life is to encourage people to question the nature and origin of their idea of "fun."

"Fun," as you hopefully know, is a completely hollow colloquialism. I believe meaningless words like that are functionally little more than barriers to comprehension (both of the self and of others). They serve as convenient and seemingly-innocuous containers for hidden meaning, and few bother finding out what that meaning is. 

The vernacular use of "fun" is that of an effort-justification wildcard - effectively, "I don't know why I like it, and I don't want you to ask because I also don't want to think about it." To intellectuals, this is important to point out; functionally, the word "fun" almost always carries with it an unacknowledged rational pejorative (or several). Allowing it to be used in such a manner also allows the underlying irrational thought processes to continue unchallenged. This is ultimately harmful to the human bottom line, and diminishes us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment